"Women shouldn't dress like 'sluts' if they don't want to be sexually assaulted," said one ignorant Toronto Police officer. (Paraphrased of course)
Just to be clear, Amber Rose did not start the SlutWalk, nor did she coin the phrase; however, she is bringing more awareness to this matter by educating the public.
It all began back in 2011 in Toronto, when a police officer told a crowd of college women that if they wanted to avoid sexual assault, they shouldn’t dress like sluts. WTF right? This sparked a worldwide campaign that outraged men and women across the country.
SlutWalk has now become a global movement with grassroots success in over 200 countries in taking a stand against sexual injustice, victim blaming, and derogatory labeling. The Amber Rose SlutWalk Festival is an all-inclusive not-for-profit event that is playing a monumental role in the movement towards gender equality.
Read a little more about it here.
Know the Facts.
Rape can affect anyone – no matter their race, ethnicity, sex, gender, social class or sexual orientation. Rape is NEVER the survivor’s fault. The only person to blame for rape is the rapist!
- One in four college women has survived rape or attempted rape in their lifetime.
- American women serving in the Middle East are more likely to be raped by a comrade than to be killed by an enemy. (Pentagon)
- Women around the world ages 15-44 are more at risk from rape and domestic violence than from cancer, car accidents, war and malaria. (U.N.)
- The Department of Justice offers a low estimate that 300,000 women will be raped annually.
- Number of women in the U.S. impregnated against their will each year in the U.S. as a result of rape: 32,000.
- Approximately 1.8 million adolescents in the United States have been the victims of sexual assault.
- An LGBT prisoner has a 15x greater chance of being sexually assaulted.
- 97 percent of rapists are never incarcerated.
- Women earn only 78 cents for every dollar earned by men. African-American women earn 64 cents and Latina women earn 56 cents for every dollar earned by a Caucasian male.